Happy 2018! I love to wish good things to everybody and as the year has just started, I’m a bit “crazy” wishing everybody all the best for 2018 What are the surprises that the year will bring? I hope you all have only good things! What are your expectations for this year? Do you have any new year’s resolutions? I’m not such a friend of new year’s resolutions, but I’m not an enemy of resolutions, either
Every year I answer a questionnaire on the blog, a recap of the past year. It’s good to compare and see what improved, what not, lessons learned, places visited. You can see them here, here, here and here. This year I got a great Q & A post here and it was really worth. Maybe you can give yourself some moments now to answer these questions. I think you will be surprised by some of your answers and they may give you a new route into 2018 with much more strength and confidence
I’ll mix the answers with the look I wore for the New Year’s Eve Party The pics were really taken on Dec 31st, a bit before the party!
1. What did you do in 2017 that you’d never done before? I went to cities I never visited before… but that is not a good question, since I normally do something like that every year. I just can’t remember anything really new I have done But I know what I want to do in 2018. For years I have been thinking of donating part of my hair for the Cancer Institute to make wigs. I was just not prepared yet… But I really want to do that. To help people the way I can.
2. Did anyone close to you give birth? Did anyone close to you die? Some blogger friends gave birth Outside the blogosphere… I honestly can’t remember, so I think the answer is no. And yes to the second question, one of my brother’s godfather. That was very sad. But the two things are connected – the proof that there’s life is that there’s death, too.
3. What countries did you visit? Nothing new in terms of countries, but new cities. Ireland, the Netherlands, Uruguay to study and some other countries. Right now I’m touring South America. Last year was a “heavy” traveling year and I may have forgotten some places I know that I visited 8 countries.
4. What would you like to have in 2018 that you lacked in 2017? Understanding, not being taken for granted, not being used.
5. What was your biggest achievement of the year? Starting a daring writing project in Uruguay.
6. Did you suffer illness or injury? Yes, some weeks ago, when I started touring South America.
7. What was the best thing you bought? Books, rings, bracelets from the places I went to. A watch in Galway, now also inseparable
8. What did you get really, really excited about? A special trip I was waiting for, some important books, a floating locket that I got on Christmas and a Bali piece of fabric, amazing.
9. What was your favorite TV show? Old movie stars documentaries.
10. What did you do on your birthday? My birthdays are never something “wow”, I must have a birthday “karma” But contrarily to some people who don’t want to get older, I love that, because it means I am alive! So, welcome many more birthdays! Next, on the 31st! (Edited! On Jan 30, 2018 – last year I had lunch with one of my brothers and I remember I felt very happy because of that! So it wasn’t a bad birthday!)
11. What song will remind you of 2015? Human, by Rag’n’Bone.
12. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? Let’s say I have learned lessons. I had very very happy moments, but the sad ones were heavy.
b) thinner or fatter? Thinner!
c) in a relationship or not? In a loving relationship, for many beautiful years.
13. How are you different today than how you were 365 days ago? How did you act, stand and talk and how is it different to “the you today“? I’m seen as a patient, protective and conciliatory person and I tried to do that in my family and wherever I was. Unfortunately, some people want me to change the way I care or show love to people and misunderstood me in a very hurting way. It also happened at one university, and I discovered intentions of plagiarism towards my essays. I’m different now, in a way that I turned to be even more prudent than before and that I must take care of my things and myself, not the whole world.
14. Is there anything you achieved that you forgot to celebrate? Due to lack of time, or whatever? Yes, but not because of lack of time. Somehow, I don’t know why, but I never celebrate my achievements… maybe I’m used to think that all is just my obligation and that is what people expect from me, to do everything all the time… I need to change it and take a minute to congratulate myself for my accomplishments.
15. What is something you tolerated for a long time, but now you will not? Was there a straw that broke the camel’s back this year? What unacceptable behavior do you now draw the line at – both your own and other people’s? Manipulative behavior and heavens, I saw so much of that last year. Bad treatment, when all can be solved with a word. People using you. But then a great friend told me one excellent thing, that I will never forget” “You have to do what is good for you”. Or a quote I read: “If it costs your peace, then it costs too much“.
16. Who are the people that really came through for your this year? Sometimes we’re surprised by the people that stand by us – and I have amazing friends and my love, who always supports me, as well as I met new friends who were also a blessing. But then there are surprises like people who drift away and you never expected that. It also happened to me. But I am thankful for those who stayed true and loved me just the way I am. I always say I don’t want to change people, but I also expect to be respected for the way I am.
17. If you could go back in time, what would you tell yourself this time last year? What advice would you have given yourself? Shut up, don’t try to help some people, don’t try to placate some people, don’t share your essays with some people. And buy a necklace from a street vendor that you knew you would regret not buying, but now you left the city
18. When do I most feel that my life is meaningful? It may sound stupid, but when I am helping people.
19. What gift would you like to give yourself this year? Peace of mind, nice trips and smiles.
20. What have you been procrastinating and would like to complete? Essays, paintings and closets renovations.
Hope you’re having an amazing year, with many smiles! Thanks for the sweet comments!